- Land of the Rair Dev Blog #34 - Three New Tradeskills
- Land of the Rair Dev Blog #33 - Further Miscellaneous Improvements & Builds
- Land of the Rair Dev Blog #32 - Miscellaneous Improvements
- Land of the Rair Dev Blog #31 - Solokar Improvements
- Land of the Rair Dev Blog #30 - Solokar & Orikurnis
- Land of the Rair Dev Blog #29 - Fixes & Balance!
- Land of the Rair Dev Blog #28 - Modkit Beta!
- Land of the Rair Dev Blog #27 - Modkit Work & Rebalancing
- Land of the Rair Dev Blog #26 - Modkit In Progress
- Land of the Rair Dev Blog #25 - Tradeskills Ahoy
- All posts ...
Land of the Rair Dev Blog #13 - Bug Fixing
Feb 26, 2021 • Seiyria
Hey all! It’s been actually two weeks since I started back on Rair, but I didn’t want to jinx it, so this week is a double-post! Sadly, it’s not double-content, but there’s still a fair bit to talk about!
There’s a bit to unpack with this. First: notice the new item description. For now, I’ve called the new system “carved slots” which function as upgrades, like in LotR 1. However, notice that it doesn’t have 5 slots. In LotR 1, everything had 5 upgrade slots. Turns out, this was a huge logistical nightmare (what wasn’t in that version?) so I’ve come up with some changes:
- Items will now have 0 to 5 upgrade slots. Trash/vendor items have 0 slots, rare/forged gear has 1, lairs gear has 2. At this time, there is no plan to go past 2, but the option is there.
- Items that can be used as upgrade components are very specific - right now, it’s Enos, Owts, and Fate bricks.
- Some quest givers add custom upgrades to items, like in the picture above. These quest givers will not add duplicate upgrades to an item. These are given a sprite that resembles where they came from so you can easily view what upgrades you’ve gotten.
- Upgrades can not be removed from items at this time.
- There is an NPC in sub castle/CC that can add upgrades to items. As more upgrades get added, this will either bleed out into trade skills or an NPC in the open world - I’m not sure yet.
- Padding armor with fur is not an upgrade that is supported yet. When Padili gets implemented, it’ll come back.
- This system does not replace encrusts, which are similar, but different. Encrust is a reserved slot per item, and every item can be encrusted. Upgrades are a tangential, but different system.
Quest Log Changes
Not a big change, per se, but I got this bit of feedback a few times. So, now in the quest log, your current kills are shown numerically, and as a progress bar. This should help! In the future, as more quest types are added, more bits of information will be displayed here.
- New building blocks were added to the NPC scripting language
- Some new spells were added in a test capacity (Stun, Poison)
- Maps were changed so the Z level (how up or down you are) is stored on the map instead of calculated at runtime, leading to better metrics for which direction you are and are going
- NPCs can strip and eat again (Werebear can do both, for testing). Eating now only takes away one skill, and at a small percentage.
- Lots of refactoring of spells, skills, etc to make them easier to figure out from the data side.
- Lots of bugfixes (a lot, lot of bugfixes from the first alpha)
As always you can find the full changelog here.
What’s Coming Up?
Well, thankfully I’ve addressed most of the bugs from the alpha, at least, all the ones I could reproduce. So my plans are:
- improve the character select screen
- get a discord connection in
- work through daily quests (Twean)
As always you can find the full roadmap here.
Until next time,